Austin, Texas is a great place to enjoy great events as a family; and even better, you can enjoy them for free! When going out as a family it’s important for everyone to have a good time and that’s why Austin is such a nice place to raise a family. There are so many options and choices of events that there is no way that someone could not be enjoying themselves.
Enjoy some time outdoors with some free Austin family activities:
- Lady Bird Lake Hike and Bike Trail
- Barton Creek Greenbelt
- Slaughter Creek Preserve Trail
- Deep Eddy Pool
- Congress Bridge Bats
You can also enjoy some time on the lake, rent a canoe or a paddle board for cheap and spend some great time on the water. There’s no better way to get some needed exercise than by doing a fun activity with the whole family.
If you’re family needs some not so active R&R you could try the following:
- Thinkery – Austin’s new children’s museum focuses learning – science, technology, engineering, art, and math – as well as healthy living. The fun-filled facility is a mix of a science and technology center with a children’s museum! Admission is free on Sundays from 5 – 6 p.m. and by donation (suggested $1) on Wednesdays from 5 – 8 p.m.
- Graffiti Park – Your family will enjoy hours of pictures and fun with great graffiti artwork. View some iconic Austin artwork while you and your family play and have fun in the park. Graffiti Park is an Austin staple and is a must go for any Austinite family or visiting family.
- Cathedral of Junk – If you want to take a walk on Austin’s weird side, this is one stop you don’t want to miss! Kids love walking through this backyard ode to discarded treasures. Housed in local yardist Vince Hannemann’s backyard, this is definitely a site you won’t want to miss out on.
Check out this FREE events list on a day-to-day basis from Free Fun in Austin. Great for every day family fun!
For parents that are trying to have some fun without the kids, you should definitely try out some of the following events:
- Comedy Night at Banger’s Sausage House – Enjoy a night for two at Banger’s Comedy Show the first Wednesday of every month. If you enjoy sausage and beer, you’ll definitely love seeing a comedy show at Banger’s. Experience some of Austin’s funniest standup comedians from 9-11pm. There’s no predicting how inappropriate these comedians get so leave the children at home and go enjoy a night filled with hops and laughter.
- Unplugged at the Grove – Every Thursday go out and enjoy great musicians perform at the award-winning restaurant Shady Grove. This year is KGSR’s 21st anniversary of Unplugged at the Grove and as one of Austin’s longest running free live music series you can expect to hear awesome artists like Bob Schneider, Shakey Graves, and more until September. Live music starts at 8pm!
Check out some more great events here.