Whether you’re one of those rare born-and-raised Austinites or you’ve only been here a couple years, it’s nearly impossible escape the hype that surrounds the city of Austin. Surely you’ve noticed more congested streets and an ever-expanding skyline. Over 150 people move to Austin each day – making it the fastest growing city in the US. But really, can you blame them? Austin boasts a booming economy, amazing weather, friendly residents, endless job opportunities, and let’s not forget the most important thing, breakfast tacos.
Why exactly is it that this city in the heart of Texas has people flocking to it left and right? Let’s look at 5 reasons why everyone is moving to Austin:
Thriving Economy and Innovation
Not only does Austin’s unemployment rate continue to drop, but the city is the hub of technology, startups, and innovation. Austin is home to top brands such as Whole Foods, Dell, Yeti Coolers, and more while successful startups such as RetailMeNot, Indeed, TabbedOut, and many more are finding notable success.
- #1 on Forbes’ list of the country’s fastest-growing cities in 2014
- #2 on Milken Institute’s Best-Performing Cities report in 2014
- #2 on Forbes’ best cities for future job growth in 2014
- #1 on NerdWallet’s city for job seekers
- #1 on Entrepreneur’s Top Startup Cities (by cost and taxes)
- #9 on Business Insider’s most innovative cities
Cool Things to Do
The quality of life in Austin is unbeatable. It’s clean, it’s environmentally-friendly, and it has some pretty cool activities. In fact, Forbes ranked Austin among America’s coolest cities to live in.
- Live Music Capital – walk up and down any street to hear awesome live music, SXSW, Austin City Limits, Fun Fun Fun Fest, and other amazing festivals, FREE music events
- Outdoor activities – hike the greenbelt, run around Lady Bird Lake, zipline Lake Travis, paddle board on Lake Austin
- #6 in USNews’ best nightlife scenes in the USA
Low Cost of Living
- Cost of housing is 15% below the national average
- CNN ranked among “best cities for millennial homebuyers”
- No state income tax
- Alcohol, food, and other expenses are relatively cheap compared to other US cities
From food trucks to revolutionary new restaurants that top many of the nation’s best lists, Austin has any delicious cuisine you can imagine.
- Close to 1,500 registered mobile food vendors
- 2 of Austin’s local favorites (Frank’s BBQ and Hey!… You Gonna Eat or What? ranked among Yelp’s Top 100 Places to Eat in the U.S. for 2015
- Many restaurants appear on Food Network and culinary shows vying for best new restaurant titles
- BREAKFAST TACOS
Great Place to Raise a Family
- #2 on Parenting.com’s Best Cities to Raise a Family
- Low violent-crime rate
- Great education – home to Best Valued College ranked University of Texas